The 2008 Draft Review Podcast

July 9th, 2008 · 16 Comments

You asked us your 2008 draft questions, albeit weeks ago, and now you get your answers, in podcast form. It took a little while to iron the technical end of this out, find a time we were both available to record it, edit it, and figure out how to post it, but we hope it was worth the wait.

We also had a little trouble fitting everything we said in the over hour long conversation into a 30 minute podcast, so some banter and a few questions got cut, but the best stuff is still around. We also realize the audio quality isn’t fantastic, we’re working to figure out a way to avoid compressing the file so much.

Let us know what you think about our first try at podcasting in the comments. Also, if you’re still desperate for draft answers, hit us in the comments or at [email protected] for out take.

We opened up with Lupe Fiasco’s “Superstar,” for obvious and somewhat corny reasons: teams are drafting and we’re answering questions so we can find the next superstar. Some think it could be Yankees first rounder Gerrit Cole (pictured), and you can hear our thoughts from the embedded player below, and can check out some technical info after the jump…

(Gerrit Cole photo: Heston Quan)

The 2008 Draft Review [30:23m]: Play Now | Play in Popup | Download

So, the above is the player to listen to the podcast here on the page. If you’re a podcast listening junkie like me (Kiley, by the way), then you can add search for us on iTunes or add this feed to your podcast program (https://www.saberscouting.com/feed).

I think that covers most of the technical questions you guys might have about how to listen to this. If you have anymore, hit us up in the comments or just google your question, since we’re not experts either.

Podcast Download Link

Help Saber-Scouting Grow: Submit or Comment on this story at BallHype and BTF.

Tags: 2008 MLB Draft · 2009 MLB Draft · Chat/Mailbag · Our Opinion · Podcast · Scouting Reports

16 responses so far ↓

• 1 Andy // Jul 9, 2008 at 10:45 pm

I liked the left-speaker right-speaker switching. It’s useful for keeping track of conversation.

• 2 kileymcd // Jul 9, 2008 at 10:53 pm

At first I thought that would be annoying (the recording software did that), but decided it was useful, since lots of times it’s hard to tell who is who in podcasts like this. Not necessarily with us I don’t think, but good to hear out first comment wasn’t you guys suck.

• 3 Chase // Jul 10, 2008 at 12:25 am

You guys suck.

• 4 kileymcd // Jul 10, 2008 at 12:36 am

I knew it!

• 5 Chase // Jul 10, 2008 at 1:24 am

Nice job guys. That was a fun listen.

• 6 battlekow // Jul 10, 2008 at 2:18 am

I’d love a scouting report on Erik Komatsu. From everything I can find, he looks like the kind of college bat that’s going to tear up the low minors, but what’s his ceiling? He’s young for a college guy (20), hit well for a big-time program, and is succeeding well in the pros so far, all of which bode well for him.

• 7 Logan // Jul 10, 2008 at 4:01 am

Thanks for answering my questions and great first podcast.! And yeah I was drinking that whole day, the Stros need a good draft (actually a couple). Also, do you know if Houston has signed anyone from the July 2nd draft? Thanks

• 8 Jared // Jul 10, 2008 at 2:33 pm

Good listen, even though you didn’t answer my question Looking forward to the 09 content.

• 9 toby k. // Jul 10, 2008 at 7:26 pm

you should just post the interview thing in text form… you know in case some people don’t do the podcast thing or can’t hear.

• 10 daneptizl // Jul 10, 2008 at 8:32 pm

It might have been good if I could hear both of you guys. It appears only 1 of my speaker works…..

• 11 keith // Jul 10, 2008 at 11:00 pm

Nice job guys! You should do that more often…love your stuff.

• 12 Hyltzn // Jul 11, 2008 at 1:09 am

Nice. Where can I download it? I click on download and all I get is the mediaplayer.

I want to listen to this on my way to PCB.

• 13 Jake // Jul 11, 2008 at 2:11 am

Wow, suprised to think that Cole is thought of that highly. I knew he was good, but more upside than Porcello or Hughes? I know both Hughes and Porcello have lost some of their stuff, but thats pretty high praise.

I really liked Ryan Perry as well, he was probably my favorite relief prospect (Yes I know, I’m addicted) in the draft. His arm just screams out nastyness to me. Although I think the Tigers might make an adjustment to his delivery.

BTW, great job, at first I was like why is this guy taking like a minute break here and there, and then caught on to the speaker differences since I only had one of them on.

And Hyltzn, to download the podcast, just right click, choose “Save Target As…” and it will give you the save as box where you can save it to your computer.

• 14 Hyltzn // Jul 11, 2008 at 2:58 am

Thanks.

• 15 Grant // Jul 11, 2008 at 3:27 am

Good stuff guys. You guys should definitely do more podcasts in the future.

• 16 erik // Jul 11, 2008 at 9:08 am

Agreed. I’ve started a new job and have the chance to listen to my i-pod a lot more, and unfortunately there aren’t many really good baseball podcasts out there, esp. ones geared towards prospects. Baseball America’s are pretty good, but they mostly did a lot of college one’s and haven’t done much since that season ended.

So, definitely, do more please. :)